Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Perfect Beginning to the Holiday Season

I'm going to use this post to admit a personal flaw of mine. I am an over-celebrator. I love to celebrate most anything. I am notorious for making "an event" out of anything. A few weekends ago I had some friends over to watch an Alabama game and while on the phone with my friend, Ben Epps, I immediately started planning a menu. He quickly cut me off and I believe his exact words were something along the lines of "Now LeeLee, I know how you like to have your little dinner parties, but this is about watching football." I have a tendency to make birthdays-not just mine, but my friends' too- last at least a week, so you can only imagine what happens when an occasion as monumental as Christmas rolls around.

I live for Christmas. I love everything about it. I make an ordeal out of every aspect of it- which drives my Mama crazy. Decorating the tree, arranging the manger scene, draping the garland, cooking our traditional Christmas morning breakfast, wrapping the presents- all of it is a sentimental process to me. All of it must be done perfectly and all done while blaring my favorite mix CD, which I appropriately titled "CHRISTMAS! YAY!"

So just as all of these things must be done each year, the season, in my little Christmas world, must begin the same way each year- with Wassail. Wassail is a warm drink that captures Christmas in every way. It smells like Christmas, tastes like Christmas, and is a constant reminder that Christmas is fast approaching.

Mama used to make wassail on the first cold day of each year (which to us meant any day with a temperature below 50 degrees) and now I do the same. Not only is wassail a warm delicious treat, but it fills your home with the scents of cinnamon and cloves- a perfect way to begin the holiday season.

Click HERE for my Wassail Recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment