Sunday, January 31, 2016

Easy Like Sunday... Dinner!


Sometimes there is just nothing better than an easy dinner. This is a new one that I tried tonight and I just NEEDED to share it with you. It is Sunday- this means several things. It means that I got up early for church, went out to a nice lunch, have cleaned the house, done laundry, worked out, and am now completely NOT in the mood to cook something lovely and decadent. 
My answer tonight? Mexican food. 


Not typically healthy, but typically cheap and full of ingredients that come in jars or cans or dried that your pantry may be filled with. So as I looked through my pantry and fridge, I came across some great items that I already had. It was a hodge podge- and I didn't end up using them all, but it gave me a good start. 

So of course, I turned to Pinterest, which for the record, I typically do not trust for recipes. Pinterest is fabulous for one thing... it INSPIRES us. Just as you would slightly tweak a wedding decor idea you find on Pinterest to your taste, do the same with the recipe. When I logged onto the app, I searched for "Healthy Mexican Dinner." The first thing that came up looked DELICIOUS, but then I read the title and saw "Baked Chicken Chimichanga". I wouldn't even tell Austin the name of the dish when I described it to him! 

A chimichanga just sounds like cardiac arrest and cellulite to me. However, after getting some inspiration from a fellow pinner, I came up with this healthier recipe that is delish. 


LeeLee's Healthy Baked Chicken Burritos (because I still don't like the name Chimichanga):
4 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
 Great tip: Rotisserie Chicken is tender, quick and cheap (especially at Star Market- and you can buy just the breast!)
2 cups Salsa- I bought a fresh salsa in the refrigerated section that wasn't as potent and had more fresh veggies and herbs
3 Green Onions, Chopped
1 avocado- Peeled and Chopped into Small Cubes
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, Minced
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, Minced
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, Minced 
1 tsp. Fresh Garlic, Minced
2 Cups Shredded Mexican Cheese 
1 1/2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Ground Oregano
8 10" Flour Tortillas
2 tbsp. Melted Butter
Salt and Pepper To Taste
Additional Toppings: Salsa, Sour Cream, Guacamole

Instructions:
Shred cooked chicken into large bowl. Add Salsa, Green Onions, Avocado, Bell Peppers, Garlic, Cheese, Cumin and Oregano and mix until well combined. 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place 1 cup of chicken mixture into middle of each tortilla. Fold each side and roll like a burrito. Place open side down on parchment lined baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray (or brush with melted butter) and bake for 30 minutes until tortillas are golden brown on tops.

Serve with Yellow Rice with Scallions and Grilled Corn Salad
Mexican Grilled Corn Salad:
 3 Cups Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
4 Ears of Corn, Sprayed with Oil and Grilled 
2 tbsp. Avocado Ranch Dressing
1 tbsp. Chopped Fresh Cilantro
Juice of 1/2 Lime

Austin loved this dinner and inhaled it before heading out for a night with the guys. One of my best friends, Cynthia, and I also adored it before watching the LIVE performance of "Grease" on FOX tonight. The perfect evening. 


If you have any questions about this recipe, please comment! And as always... Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Looks divine! One question...can you 'grill' the corn inside? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara Ann, Absolutely! You could easily do this on a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet on top of the stove.Just make sure to get the pan hot enough that the corn gets those good marks on it! Happy Cooking!

      Delete