Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Peruvian Roasted Chicken- You've got this!

I have to admit, that when I set out to start this recipe, I was a little afraid of the idea of spatchcocking a chicken. Do you know what that means? You remove the backbone and break the breastbone, so that you can make the chicken as flat as possible. I was intimidated, but let me tell you something- it was a breeze!

This dinner was a big hit and much easier than I expected!

First, start by mixing up your rub.
In a small bowl, garlic, salt, garam masala, cumin, oregano and fresh pepper and lemon zest. 
Now, add your oil and lemon juice and combine until you have a smooth paste.
Now it's time to Spatchcock your chicken. Grab your poultry shears, or a very sharp pair of scissors.
*Note: I am just now understanding the blessings of owning a pair of poultry shears. It makes your life so much easier and you will use them more than you think you will!*

Start with your chicken breast-side down. I like starting with the tail closest to me, so that I can use it to guide my cuts.
*Notice that I have a plastic cutting board on top of my big wooden board. This is just to prevent contaminating my big wooden board that is more work to clean!*

Take your shears and cut along both sides of the backbone, cutting through the ribs as you go. You've got this! Discard of backbone, or save to make chicken stock if you are really going for it.

Now, flip the chicken over and spread it flat. Using your palms, press down on the breastbone of the chicken until you hear it crack. This will allow for the chicken to lay as flat as possible.

See? That wasn't that hard! Now, carefully separate the skin from the breast and thigh areas of the chicken. Without tearing the skin, spread the rub beneath the skin covering all meat well.

Next, place your onion slices, lime slices and lemon slices in your skillet. Toss lightly with olive oil. Place chicken breast side up in the skillet and brush with olive oil.
Place into 400F oven and baste every 15 minutes for about an hour. The chicken is done when the juices run clear and the internal temperature has reached 165F.

While the chicken is roasting, you can make your green sauce.

Add all ingredients, except mayonnaise, into your food processor and blend. Add Mayonnaise and pulse until smooth.
Slice chicken and drizzle with green sauce.

Serve and Enjoy!

Click HERE for my Peruvian Roasted Chicken Recipe!




No comments:

Post a Comment